Frequently Asked Questions About Tattoos
I ask that you please read over this FAQ page before inquiring about getting tattooed!
These are commonly asked questions and will likely answer any questions you have regarding the tattoo process. If after reading this you still have questions, please feel free to include those questions in your inquiry.
- Fill out a submission form through my website to request a consultation.
- After reviewing your submission form, a consultation date will be made via email.
- In-person consultations are my preferred method as it is easier to convey exactly what you are looking for.
- Consultations generally take about 10-15 minutes. Sometimes more, depending on how complicated the idea is.
- On the submission form please make sure you upload all the references you need to help me understand what you are looking for. These may be tattoos that you have seen on my page, a photo that inspired you, a piece of art you found online, etc. Be prepared at the consultation to let me know what you like and dislike about these images. The consultation is for you to reinforce any details that might help get your point across.
- After your consultation I do require a $175 deposit to book an appointment. This will ensure your space in my schedule. I book in 3-4 month increments and if you want something further out you may want to wait to book. Booking this way allows for changes in my schedule and helps with travel opportunities.
If you would like to be notified when my books are open, feel free to add yourself to my mailing list and turn on post/story notifications for my page on Instagram.
- Yes. I require a $175 deposit at the end of our scheduled consultation.
- Please bring cash for the $175 deposit. There are lots of atms nearby, so give yourself enough time before the consultation to grab some cash.
- All deposits will be applied to the last session of your tattoo and are non-refundable.
- Unfortunately, if you need to cancel your appointment for any reason, you will need to start the booking process from the beginning.
- Please keep in mind when you reschedule I have appointments already booked up to 3 months out and you will most likely be waiting at least another 3 months to get into an open slot.
- I require a 72-hour notice at the very minimum for rescheduling. Also, people that cancel less than 72-hours in advance, are less likely to be scheduled in the future.
- Cancellation is bailing on an appointment without any plan to reschedule. Canceling will forfeit your $175 deposit. You will also forfeit your deposit if you “no-call, no-show” the day of our appointment.
- Rescheduling is bailing on an appointment with a plan to reschedule at the time of the notification, or within the next few days thereafter. Your deposit will be honored if you contact me before 72 hours of the original appointment to reschedule.
I usually reply to all inquiries at the beginning of the week. Since so much of my time is spent drawing and tattooing it may take a few days to get back to you. Please be patient with me during this process.
- Paper Crane Tattoo
- 550 NW Hill St. Bend, OR 97703
- This is where all in-person consultations will be held.
- We have a parking lot on the side of our building or there is plenty of parking on Hill Street.
- Unfortunately, I do not. I will make an announcement if I have a cancellation via instagram so make sure you turn on post and story notifications!
- Of course, to ensure an appointment in my schedule, it's best to contact me in advance so we can plan your appointment for a future date.
- Please review my tattooing styles on Instagram or my Gallery before submitting a request for a tattoo. I try my best to take on projects that have more illustrative qualities, but if I feel like I am not the artist for your particular project, I will let you know.
- At the moment I don't really have a particular style I'm going for, but if you review my work you should have a pretty good idea of what you are going to get.
- I am primarily a black and gray artist. Sometimes I work with a limited color pallet. If you are interested in minimal color please express that in your submission.
- My hourly rate is $175/hour and I have a 2 hour minimum.
- When working out of town or attending conventions, my pricing will vary to accommodate the cost of travel.
I simply have to keep up with the industry and charge accordingly based on inflation and my cost of operation. As independent contractors, we owe as much as 37% of our income each year to taxes, not to mention the cost of materials has skyrocketed.
- Prices vary by piece.
- The factors that affect my time spent on your tattoo, and the overall price, include placement on the body, amount of detail, and size of the tattoo.
- Let me know if you are looking to stay within a specific budget on your submission form.
- Unfortunately, no. Drawings will be finished on the day of appointment, and will not be available for viewing before your scheduled appointment date.
- We will have enough time to review the design and make small changes the day of the appointment.
- If there was a miscommunication during the consultation and there are major design changes that must be made we may have to reschedule your appointment. This is why it is very important you clearly communicate what you are looking for in your submission form and at the consultation. These kinds of reschedules will require another deposit because I miss out on a full day of work, so we both lose. Try to make the best of your communication so we don't run into these roadblocks.
- Demand for tattoos is at an all time high! With the large amount of inquiries I get, I simply can not tattoo everyone who reaches out.
- I travel a fair amount throughout the year and it can be hard to make travel plans that far in advance. I like to book 3 months out so I can maintain a certain amount of fluidity in my work schedule and my personal life.
- I do all my own booking and it is quite a task. I try to do good at getting back to everyone but it is possible I may overlook your inquiry. It's not that I am ignoring you, I just make mistakes sometimes.
- Please email me through one email chain because it makes it easier for me to keep track of our conversation. It’s extremely possible to get appointment details mixed up by having multiple email chains.
- I do appreciate artistic freedom but a little direction helps a lot.
- Typically I don't like to tattoo longer than 6 hours a session, which means the most you would pay for a full day at my $175/hour rate is $1050.
- My Minimum is $350 per session.
- With an all day session I generally like to take a 30-60 minute break. It's important that we take care of all our basic needs!
- Please wear the appropriate clothing for the location we are tattooing. Otherwise, you might get caught with your pants down… literally.
- I have water and sugary things in case you start to feel funny/lightheaded. Feel free to bring whatever snacks you like. We will gladly fill your water bottle with our filtered water!
- At Paper Crane Tattoo we are in a very discreet location with no sign. We are not a walk-in shop so we can keep it a private experience. If you have an appointment scheduled, there is no need to knock. Just come on in!
- If you are coming from out of town and are staying for a couple days, feel free to ask about fun stuff to do in Bend. It is a beautiful city with lots of cool places to check out.
- No minors, not even with your parents permission. Sorry kids.
- Don't ask me to tattoo your lip, eyelids, ears, or the bottom of your toes please.
- Tattoos hurt… but you got this!
- Shoot me a submission of your tattoo idea.
- Read my aftercare instructions.